BeZero Carbon is a climate intelligence business that helps organisations make smarter Net Zero decisions. We support clients through BeZero Carbon Markets, a data and analytics platform for the Voluntary Carbon Market, and through decarbonisation and natural capital solutions.
Founded in April 2020, we are rapidly growing, with investor backing and an already enviable client list. Our 50-strong team combines expertise across climatic and earth sciences, remote sensing technologies, sell-side financial research, data and analytics, engineering, and public policy. We are based in London, but have people working across six continents.
We are on an exciting path to becoming one of the leading companies accelerating the Net Zero transition, helping organisations throughout the climate value chain and creating prosperity through climate action.
BeZero Carbon is looking for outstanding Remote Sensing Scientists to join our Earth Observation team, to help develop cutting-edge methods for change detection and live monitoring of forest carbon stocks.
Working with our geospatial analysts and machine learning engineers, together with satellite data providers, carbon project developers and academic partners, successful candidates will combine data from spaceborne sensors (LiDAR, RADAR and optical) with extensive ground measurements, to continually improve our forest monitoring capabilities.
This is an exciting opportunity to help shape or lead well-resourced programmes of research at the forefront of climate action.
- Review existing and forthcoming remote sensing technologies for change detection and biomass estimation across a range of forest types, from rainforest to drylands and mangrove
- Model development, training and validation using ground measurements in collaboration with carbon project developers and other partners
- Live monitoring of accredited carbon projects through the BeZero Carbon Markets platform, and support for new project development through BeZero Carbon Solutions
- Build and strengthen research collaborations across academic and business communities
- Ongoing research and horizon scanning for new opportunities to improve our methods
Our ideal candidate:
- At least 3-5 years (Scientist) or 5-10 years (Lead Scientist) experience in remote sensing research, with a focus on forest structure and biomass estimation
- Strong knowledge of spaceborne and terrestrial sensor technologies, their strengths and limitations, and potential for fusion across sensor types
- Highly motivated, self-starter with a track record of contributing to (Scientist) or leading (Lead Scientist) innovative research projects
- Excellent programming skills (Python and R) and familiarity with machine learning methods
- Skilled communicator, able to condense complex information in technical reports and lay summaries for both internal and client-facing use
- Experience collaborating across scientific disciplines, and preferably with the private sector
- Experience of fieldwork / working with forest plot data, with a sound understanding of forest dynamics
- Strong interest in nature-based solutions through the voluntary carbon market
What we’ll offer:
- Opportunity to develop cutting-edge tools for supporting nature-based solutions to climate change
- Ability to learn and develop alongside a range of sector specialists from the scientific, economic and business community
- Growth opportunities that come from working at a fast-paced VC-backed technology business
- Central London office space (Angel) with flexibility to work from home
- Regular social events
- Opportunity for share options
Our interview process:
- Initial screening interview (15 mins)
- Second interview + skills test
- Final interview with senior management
- Reference checks + offer